Wednesday, July 15, 2015

London by Air

*Note: This entry covers the events of July 8.*

Today was the first time I decided to really explore the city on foot. After the first two days of hop on, hop off adventures, I had a general idea of how the city worked. My first stop of the day was St. Paul's Cathedral. The morning air made my walk a little chilly, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. I arrived around the time St. Paul's opened for tours, so I got in quickly. The building was gorgeous, both inside and out, and the audio tour included with the admission price was very informative. However, I got the biggest thrill climbing to the Whisper Gallery and beyond.


The Whisper Gallery is situated inside the dome of the cathedral. You must climb 257 steps to reach this area, but it provides an up-close view of the paintings on the dome. It is called the Whisper Gallery because if someone standing directly across the circular opening from you were to whisper, you could hear them. However, the Whisper Gallery is really just the beginning. There are two more galleries situated above this level on the *outside* of the cathedral. Signs were up everywhere stating that you should not begin the climb up if you felt you may chicken out for any reason. Well, I'm not a chicken, so I began my ascent to the top of St. Paul's.

The second level I reached, after another 119 steps, was the Stone Gallery. There was plenty of room to move around once you emerged from the stairway, and the view was great. However, I did not stop there. I continued on to the highest point, the Golden Gallery, climbing another 152 steps along the way.


If you look at this picture of the dome, you can see the Stone Gallery at the base of the dome; the Golden Gallery is located at the top of the dome. There was very little room to maneuver, but the view of London was breathtaking. As the wind viciously whipped my hair around my face, I captured some amazing photos, and even had my own picture taken to mark the occasion; it's not every day that I stand 280 feet above ground level! I am so glad that I tackled this challenge. Not only was the scenery rewarding, but the experience also gave me the chance to see the genius of Christopher Wren up close and personal. While making the climb to the Golden Gallery, you can actually see the interior dome which was constructed to support the outer dome.


One of my shots of the city. Can you see the London Eye?

After visiting the crypt to view the tombs of Lord Nelson, the Duke of Wellington, and Christopher Wren, I grabbed a quick sandwich for lunch and headed for my next destination.

If you know me, then you know I love period British drama. Downton Abbey has been a long-time favorite of mine, but I have recently become obsessed with Mr. Selfridge. For this reason, I visited Selfridge's on Oxford Street!!! While the store has been modernized, the exterior is still exquisite and the original clock still hangs above the door. While I looked at everything, my final purchase was made in the toy department, where I bought a stuffed Paddington Bear. I've loved Paddington since I was very young, and it just seemed appropriate to buy one while in London.



Next, I traveled to a very touristy London attraction: the London Eye! While not necessarily a must see, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. I had to stand in line for about 30 minutes before I was herded onto a pod with about 20 other people. The Eye is Europe's largest Ferris wheel; at the top, we were 443 feel in the air. The view was great, but the sun's glare on the capsule glass made getting good pictures tricky. However, I did get a picture with a very tiny St. Paul's, thereby completing my day's full-circle, aerial adventure!



On my stroll home, I passed the National Theatre and discovered a statue of Laurence Olivier as Hamlet. It was a nice way to close another beautiful day in London!


Long days and pleasant nights!

**Good night, Mrs. Hall, wherever you are!**

No comments:

Post a Comment