Thursday, July 9, 2015

Out and About: Day Trip #1

*Note: This entry covers the events of July 6.*

I had planned back-to-back day trips from London with Golden Tours, the same company I used for the hop on, hop off tour. My first day trip was to Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Bath. I had a fabulous tour guide named Antonio who is a certified Windsor Castle guide. When we arrived at the castle, he showed us the best places to eat and shop, plus made sure to point out the section of the castle the Queen actually stays in when she is home. While she wasn't there the day of my visit, I still enjoyed getting a glimpse into the royal lifestyle.


Even though we couldn't take pictures in the castle, I took quite a few on the grounds. I even got to see the Changing of the Guard, a very different experience from the other ceremony at Buckingham Palace. I got to see the doll house of Queen Mary, the grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II, and I was able to tour the State Rooms of the castle that are used entertaining foreign dignitaries.




My two favorite parts of the castle were the china display and the banquet hall. One of the first rooms on the tour was comprised of huge glass display cases filled with examples of the different china patterns used by the royals over the years. The artwork on these pieces was simply exquisite! Additionally, the banquet hall really captured my attention because of its huge crystal chandeliers, enormous dining table, and numerous royal portraits encircling the walls. I wish I could capture the grandeur of the castle, but it is really one of those things you'd have to see to believe!

I grabbed a sandwich to eat on the motor coach as we drove toward Stonehenge. This was really the first time that I had gotten a good glimpse of the English countryside, and the land is beautifully maintained farmland. I got to see an assortment of cows, pigs, and sheep grazing along the roadside as we made our way to Stonehenge.

The day had turned cold and windy as we exited the bus at the Stonehenge Visitor Center. Our driver was not allowed to go all the way to the stones, but we were able to catch a shuttle. Our tour guide explained various theories about what Stonehenge's original purpose was, and he felt as though it was probably an ancient means of keeping up with the seasons. While we may never know the true purpose of Stonehenge, it was amazing to see it in person. I was able to encircle the whole structure, taking pictures from almost every angle. Once again, the experience was almost too overwhelming to describe. Here was an ancient structure that I had seen many times in books and documentaries, and I was seeing it with my own eyes.


After finishing up at Stonehenge, we headed to our last stop, Bath. Originally the site of a Roman hot spring, the waters of Bath were thought to have healing properties. For those Jane Austen fans out there, this city is where young Jane grew up. It is a truly charming town, and I wish we had had more time to explore it on our own. However, I had just enough time to work my way through the bath house, marvel at the heat still being produced by the flowing water, and take copious amounts of pictures of the beautiful town church, Bath Abbey.





We all had the chance to grab a cup of Italian ice cream before heading back for London. It was a whirlwind day, but it was another great one to add to my list of great days here in London.


Understandably, I was pretty tired when I returned to my flat. However, given the experiences of my trip, I was already looking forward to the second one I had planned for the next day. The next blog post will cover that glorious adventure!

Long days and pleasant nights!

**Good night, Mrs. Hall, wherever you are!**

No comments:

Post a Comment