Sunday, July 26, 2015

Make Haste!

*Note: This entry covers the events of July 10.*

Since the Tube was once again operational, I needed to make the most of this day before my day trip to Paris and the beginning of my program. I covered a lot of ground, but I wish I could have had much more time in each location. Here is a breakdown of my whirlwind day!

Stop 1: The British Library

As an English teacher and lover of literature, it would have been a shame if I had passed up this amazing library. Upon my arrival, I was greeted by none other than the Bard himself. This statue of Shakespeare is a copy of the one in Poet's Corner at Westminster Abbey. This is the only picture I was able to snap at the British Library as the other exhibits prohibited photography.


The works on display at the British Museum are mind-boggling! I was able to see hand-written sheet music by Bach, Handel, Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven, Puccini, Elgar, Debussy, Bartok, Stravinsky, and The Beatles. The manuscripts on display included works (many hand-written) by Raleigh, Austen, Shelley, Dickens, Bronte, Elizabeth Browning, Hardy, Wilde, Auden, Pinter, Carter, and Lord Byron. Of particular interest to me was their wide range of Shakespeare's works, with editions ranging from 1595-1709; this display included a copy of the First Folio! However, two items were especially moving for me to see: an original copy of Beowulf and the Gutenberg Bible. Seeing these two works which have had such an impact on the history of storytelling and book publishing was an experience beyond words for me.

After viewing sketches by Durer, da Vinci, and Michelangelo, I made my way through a special Magna Carta exhibit. As part of the 800th anniversary of the signing of this historic document, this exhibit showcased the history of law in England. Additionally, items from the life of King John were featured. I found it interesting that so many American documents were featured in the exhibit, including copies of the Declaration of Independence and The Bill of Rights (on loan from Washington, D.C.). The library owns two copies of the Magna Carta, one of which is impossible to read. Seeing this historic document was a great way to conclude my visit.

Stop 2: The British Museum

I walked from the British Library to the British Museum, and I was shocked when I first saw it. I knew it was going to be big, but I was floored by the size! Once I stepped inside, I knew that I could spend a week in here and still never see everything!


I managed to hit all of the major spots in the museum, and then spent a lot of time in the Egyptian displays. Here are a few pictures of these amazing exhibits, the first of which is the Rosetta Stone which helped crack the code of Egyptian hieroglyphics. Needless to say, the Rosetta Stone was by far the most popular exhibit in the museum.

Best picture of the Rosetta Stone I could get due to the hundreds swarming around it!

Sculpture from The Parthenon

Easter Island Figure

Buddhist Goddess Tara

The David Vases

The Sutton Hoo Mask

Standard of Ur

Gold Leaf Inner Coffin of Henutmehyt


Assyrian winged bull with human head from the palace of Ashurnasirpal II
 
 
Stop 3: The Sherlock Holmes Pub
 
If you remember from my last post, I wanted to eat here on the day of the Tube strike, but that totally fell through. However, I made it here today! The pub is nestled in a little corner just off of Trafalgar Square. The location is great, as are the atmosphere and food. The lemon herb chicken I had was fabulous, and I enjoyed checking out all of the Sherlock Holmes paraphernalia as well.
 



Stop 4: Jack the Ripper Tour

What trip to London would be complete without a walking tour focusing on London's most notorious killer? The guide told us that there tons of different Jack the Ripper tours due to people's interest in this madman. The tour took us through the Whitechapel area of London where Jack the Ripper committed his murders, and I accidently ended up standing on the exact location where one of the bodies was found!!! It was a very graphic tour, but the guide didn't leave out any details about the murders. I did wonder about some people's judgment, though, as a couple had brought their very young daughter along on the tour. Anyway, the best part of the tour (for me, anyway) was getting to see The Ten Bells, the pub where all of the victims were seen prior to their murders. It is really the only common factor in all the murders, which makes it highly popular today.


Stop 5: The Flat

After a very busy day, I was all too happy to finally return to my flat. Once again, spotty internet service was an issue, but I needed to get my rest anyway. I had to get up bright and early the next morning for a day trip to Paris! More on that in the next post!

Long days and pleasant nights!

**Goodnight, Mrs. Hall, wherever you are!**



No comments:

Post a Comment