Tuesday, July 28, 2015

TSTP, Act 1

*Note: This entry covers the events of July 12-July 17.*

On Sunday morning, I had to check out of the Great Dover Street Apartments to begin the next leg of my journey. I took my large suitcase to Bankside House to check it in the baggage hold, but I was not allowed to get my room until 3 p.m., thereby rendering me homeless for a few hours. I spent my time wandering by the river, grabbing a bite to eat, and generally being lazy. Paris had taken a lot of energy, and I was looking forward to just resting before my "work" began on Monday. I did, however, get to eat with Tori Short (my cousin/friend/former student) at The Anchor; we had a lovely time at one of London's oldest pubs.


Bankside offered a lot that my previous flat did not: consistent internet service, working elevators, free breakfast. The only downside to all of this was that construction on the new section of the Tate Modern Art Museum was taking place right outside my window. However, it was still better than the last place!

While I could spend a lot of time detailing every exercise we covered during the week, I'm opting to give you a brief overview of the amazing things going on here at Globe Education and our Teaching Education Through Performance program.

Monday:
  • Introductions all around! There are a total of 25 teachers from across the US in TSTP 2015.
  • Tour of The Globe and the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse with our program director, Fiona Banks.
  • First ensemble rehearsal with the wild and crazy Colin Hurley.
  • Welcome reception and dinner!
Fiona!

The Globe Stage as the set of Richard II was being built

Sam Wanamaker Playhouse (Yes, those are REAL candles!)

Tuesday:
  • We began work on our scenes from As You Like It. My scene director Pieter Lawman is a fantastic actor/director/person! I will be playing Orlando in our scene, which we will be presenting on the Globe Stage. We will also be the first teachers in TSTP history to perform on the Wanamaker stage!
  • We joined a group of teachers from New Zealand for an amazing historical costume lecture and then a briefing on the play Measure for Measure.
  • We discovered that The Globe has a research library with tons of resources!
  • I got to experience my first-ever Globe performance as a groundling! Measure for Measure was so very moving, and the rain lightly coming down only added to the drama of the show.
A New Zealand teacher (left) and Danielle from TSTP model Shakespearean costumes for men

So thrilled to be a groundling!!!

Wednesday:
  • We got to observe Globe Education practitioners working with school children.
  • We were treated to a presentation on Shakespearean music, which included some live performances by the instructor!
  • Colin hosted a Q & A session for us with two cast members from Measure for Measure.
Thursday:
  • We had our first movement session with the amazing Glynn MacDonald. She is one of the most fabulous individuals I have ever met. I cannot do her justice, so just watch this clip:

  • We also had our first voice and text classes.
  • We attended Richard II starring Charles Edwards, who also played Edith's boyfriend on Downton Abbey. We saw him after the show, but I was too star-struck to ask for a picture with him!
  • Since the show was a matinee performance and the sun was shining, we got the world's coolest paper hats to wear!
  • Some of us went for a little stroll following the show.
This was the set they were working on Monday!

Total fashion statement!

Big Ben at night!

National Theatre

Gorgeous London

Friday:
  • We started our day at 7 a.m. with scene rehearsals on stage at the Globe! Pieter took us through the Green Room, then we made our entrances from center stage.
  • We observed a storytelling session for 6-year-olds featuring The Tempest.
  • We reflected on the week.
One of many Green Room posters

So many great things happened this week, but the best part was being with so many like-minded professionals. Whether teaching English or theatre, each person here is passionate about Shakespeare and his works! No one even got mad when we were given Shakespeare homework over the weekend...but that's for the next entry!

Long days and pleasant nights!

**Good night, Mrs. Hall, wherever you are!**

No comments:

Post a Comment